Bring your appetite (and your esky) to the Scenic Rim Winter Harvest Festival this Saturday – it’s going to be huge!
Producers and farmers from around the region will be at the Aratula Community Sports Complex, Carter Rd Aratula, for this celebration of the Scenic Rim’s farms, food and community.
Gates open at 10am and the first 1000 visitors through the gate will receive a free souvenir Scenic Rim shopper bag. This is Eat Local Week’s signature event and is a chance to eat and drink your way around the region – quite literally.
This year’s Winter Harvest Festival is the biggest yet – with 60 stalls (a WHF record!) selling everything from local vegetables to cheese, beef, bread, craft beer and even camel milk ice-cream.
Don’t forget there are free kids’ rides all day and plenty of lovely places to put down a picnic rug, or a chair, and settle in to enjoy the live music and cooking demonstrations.
The popular Kalbar & District Community Bank Tractor Pulling Competition is on at 2pm – who will pull the 12-tonne John Deere tractor in the fastest time?
Chef and author Brenda Fawdon will be on stage at 10.30am sharing her Chicken and Vegetable Laksa recipe – using all local ingredients! Wild Canary Executive Chef Glen Barrett will be on stage at 12.15pm to showcase his Scenic Rim winter vegetable salad.
There will be plenty to see, do and taste – but here’s some Scenic Rim food & drink you mustn’t miss!
- Try Summer Land Farms Camel’s Milk Ice-cream, Naughty Little Kids Goat’s Milk Gelato and Towri Sheep Cheeses Sheep’s Milk Cheese
- Cool down with a Croft Brewing Finger Lime Beer
- Relax over a Carrot Vodka, an Eat Local Week collaboration between Flinders Peak Winery & Kalfresh Vegetables. Try it over the bar in a Scenic Rim Bloody Mary, or buy a bottle to take home. Stock up on all the Bloody Mary ingredients at the festival.
- Snaffle yourself some baked delights from Julia’s Pantry, including her amazing carrot & caraway crisp breads.
- Scenic Rim chilli – who knew? Inca in Oz are local chilli growers and will be selling chilli, as well as Peruvian cuisine.
- Vegetarians are more than catered for by Pots of Produce. You’ll love their gourmet offerings.
- Carnivores won’t miss out either – feast on Scenic Rim beef, lamb, pork, chicken and camel! Yes really.
- Do not miss Carabeen Beef‘s corned beef pies, they’re delish.
- If you haven’t tried the Boonah Lion’s Club handcut chips then you haven’t lived. They’ll be cooking all day.
- The gang from Arthur Clive’s Family Bakehouse will have a delicious spread of treats for sale, including carrot bread, finger lime cupcakes and many other baked goods featuring Scenic Rim produce.
- Coffee. Have no fear there will be coffee. Lot’s of it. We’ve booked eight coffee trucks to keep everyone caffeinated.
- Do your bit for the War on Waste. BYO water bottle and fill it up from Queensland Urban Utilities’ hydration station. QUU will also be giving away reusable water bottles.
- Grab a healthy snack. Give your tastebuds a healthy reprieve with a bag of Just Veg. Carrot Sticks. They’re grown and cut just down the road by the team at Kalfresh Vegetables, who will also be selling a range of in-season, local veg.
- Tomato prices are high elsewhere, so be sure to stock up on Peak Veggie Patch‘s heirloom tomatoes. They’re chunky, juicy and colourful.
- The Butcher Co. team will be firing up the BBQ to cook their a-m-a-z-i-n-g local beef and pork. Get in early or you’ll be disappointed!
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Tickets are available at the gate – bring your friends.
- Adults are $10, children under-12 FREE.
- Make sure you bring a cooler for your purchases and a shopping bag.
- There are free rides for kids all day and the Winter Harvest Festival is an all-weather event.
- There are some roadworks on the Cunningham Highway so leave plenty of time and travel safely.
- Sorry, no pets or animals allowed.
- EFTPOS facilities are available on site but it’s a good idea to bring cash as well.
10am: Gates Open
10.30am: Brenda Fawdon Cooking Demonstration
11.30am: Kalbar & District Community Bank Kids Tractor Pull
12.15pm: Glen Barratt Cooking Demonstration
2pm: Kalbar & District Community Bank Adult Tractor Pull
All Day: Live Music from the Bandoliers
PRODUCE, MEAT & CHEESES
Canungra Visitor Information Centre
Freshwater Australian Crayfish Traders
PRESERVES & BAKED GOODS
READY TO EAT FOOD
Ants Fruit Market
Lions Club of Boonah hand cut chips
Wood Fire Pizza
Arthur Clive’s Family Bakehouse
Hot Shotz Coffee
Scenic Rim Coffee
Wendy’s Coffee 2 Go
Welgan Estate Wines
Fill up your water bottle throughout the day at the Queensland Urban Utilities hydration stations!
Special thanks to our major supporters: