Want to experience Scenic Rim Eat Local Week but you’re watching your wallet? We’ve got 30 events which have free entry or start from less than $25! Be sure to pack your esky so you can buy yourself a little local treat or two to take home, too.
PUT THESE LOW COST EVENTS IN YOUR CALENDAR:
1. A Backstage Pass to Tommerup’s Dairy Farm – June 30. From $16. Discover what happens behind the scenes on this sixth generation dairy farm. Choose from the Moo to You breakfast event (7am to 10am) or the Farm to Fork lunch event (10am to 2pm), or do both for a full day out. Bookings essential via Tommerup’s Dairy Farm.
2. Tunes, Brews, Food & Fun @ Ladybrook Farm – June 30. Family entry from $10. Learn how the folk from Ladybrook Farm raise their animals for the Australian beef market and see stock horses and working dogs in action. Check out the snacks and drinks at the Farmyard Markets or treat yourself to a 2-course local lunch (lunch must be booked ahead of time). Bookings essential via Stay at Kirro.
3. Hillview School Community Co-op – stalls of local goodies – June 30. Free entry. Purchase local goodies lovingly prepared by Hillview State School students and the local community. Hot tip: stop in and get a jar of Christmas Creek Honey for $7 direct from the Lamington Exchange Permaculture Farm roadside stall at 1950 Christmas Creek Rd.
4. A Taste of Country Cooking @ Christmas Creek Cafe – June 30 and July 1, 7 and 8. Free entry. Sample a free tasting of local products and relax on the new deck with mountain views. Lunch and dinner available for purchase. Dinner bookings essential.
5. Just Veg Carrot Field Day (carrot picking only) – June 30. Adults $5, kids 6-17 $2.50, kids under 5 free. Pull on your gumboots and get muddy in the paddock picking your own carrots.
6. Tastings @ The Shed Café & Rathlogan Olive Grove – June 30 and July 1, 7 and 8. Free entry. Free tastings of olives, infused oils, dukkah and flavoured vinegar. Free bottle of olive oil with every purchase of Eat Local : Food Farming and Conversation in the Scenic Rim.
7. Tasting Tables @ Beaudesert Arts & Information Centre – June 30 and July 1. Free entry. Taste locally made produce including jams, pickles, olive oils, verjuice and macadamia nuts. Products available for purchase!
8. Tasting Tables @ Canungra Visitor Information Centre – June 30 and July 1. Free entry. Sample jams, chutneys, rocky road and nuts made with love in the Scenic Rim. Buy some to take home, too!
9. Crop to Cup @ Green Lane Coffee – June 30 and July 3 and 5. $20 per person. Take a journey discovering exactly how coffee is produced; from planting the seed in the ground to taking that first sip of rich, creamy espresso. Bookings essential by June 29 online via Green Lane Coffee.
10. Kids Bush Tucker Tracker @ Mt Barney Lodge – June 30 and July 1, 3 and 7. $20 per person, includes morning tea. Outdoor leaders will guide kids to discover native wildlife and taste bush tucker where it grows wild. Suitable for youth aged 8-14. Bookings essential via Mt Barney Lodge.
11. Beer Banter with Mike @ Scenic Rim Brewery – June 30 and July 1. Free entry, food and drinks available for purchase. Meet head brewer Mike, have a tasting and enjoy the views as he shares his weird and wonderful knowledge of all things beer! Dine on their special Eat Local Week menu inspired by Wendy’s Dutch heritage. Table reservations recommended, via Scenic Rim Brewery.
12. Wine Tasting @ Barney Creek Vineyard Cottages – June 30 and July 1. Free entry. Enjoy a tasting of their six wines and fortified wine. Wine will be available to purchase.
13. Eat Local Kooralbyn @ Valley Kitchen – July 1. Range of prices, as per menu. Celebrate locally sourced food from the Scenic Rim and listen to live music. Check out Valley Kitchen, Kooralbyn Facebook and Instagram for breakfast, brunch and lunch menu options. Bookings required, via Kooralbyn Valley Kitchen.
14. Rathdowney Country Market & Tasting Day – July 1. Free entry. Attend a local market day showcasing Scenic Rim producers. Jams, chutneys, pickles, honey, olive oil, cakes and other sweet treats, Scenic Rim 4Real Milk and cheese will be available to taste and buy. There will also be a sausage sizzle featuring local beef sausages.
15. The Beaudesert Gourmet Street Food Festival – July 1. Free. This event by The Design Collective features some of Australia’s best mobile chefs to showcase food grown in the Scenic Rim. World food options also available.
16. Mount Alford Artisans Market – July 1. Free. These earth-friendly markets feature Scenic Rim artists and primary producers. Enjoy locally grown and produced food, live music and artisan stalls.
17. Pop-up Olive Bar @ Scenic Rim Olives – July 1. $10 per person. Imagine yourself in the Mediterranean as you relax beside the olive trees at this beautiful Scenic Rim olive grove. Indulge with an antipasto tasting plate featuring Scenic Rim Olives, olive oil and other local goodies and learn about the distinctive qualities of fresh olive oil. Products available for sale. Book via Scenic Rim Olives.
18. Farm Tours @ Scenic Rim Robotic Dairy & 4Real Milk – July 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8. Help celebrate the fifth anniversary of Scenic Rim 4Real Milk. Experience robotic milking, milk bottling, calf patting and product tasting. Products available for purchase, so bring an esky. Bookings essential via 4Real Milk.
19. Binna Burra Bush Tucker of the Scenic Rim – July 2, 4 and 6. Free. Let Katie from Binna Burra introduce you to the abundance of bush foods in the Scenic Rim. Note – this free event will be at DJ Smith Park, Canungra!
20. Naughty Little Kids Open Day – July 3. $5 per person. Pat baby goats and try your hand at milking. Try goat milk gelato and award winning goat cheese. There’ll be a sausage sizzle, coffee cart and free jumping castle, too. Book via Naughty Little Kids!
21. Gluten Free Cooking Workshop @ Canungra Hub – July 4. $10 per person. Learn from Cassie about bringing food back to basics, and take home some of the treats created. Bookings essential, via Canungra Hub.
22. Mini Market Day @ Boonah Library – July 4. Free. A chance to chat with locals and sample produce from the beautiful Fassifern Valley. Products available to sample and purchase.
23. Tour & Taste @ Summer Land Camels – July 4. $20 per person. Let professional cameleers guide you on a behind-the-scenes tour through Australia’s largest wild camel training centre and dairy. See how they produce the world’s best camel milk, cheese, chocolate, gelato and skincare products and sample the products. Bookings essential by July 2.
24. Cheese & Wine Tasting @ The Vintage Pickle – July 5. $25 per person. Enjoy local cheeses matched with wine from O’Reilly’s Canungra Valley Vineyard, together with canapes made using local ingredients. Numbers limited, book by June 25 via The Vintage Pickle.
25. Winter Harvest Festival – July 7. Adults $10, children under 12 free. If you attend one event during Eat Local Week, let this be it! The Winter Harvest Festival is a relaxed day out for families and food lovers. Taste the food, meet the producers, watch the cooking demonstrations and feast from the Scenic Rim’s smorgasbord of fresh produce. Buy your tickets online or at the gate.
26. Farm Yoga with Laura @ Allamburra Organics – July 7. $15 per person. Enjoy an open-air class on the grass, next to fruit trees and natural rainforest. The farm dogs, chickens, sheep and a peacock will be there for entertainment too. Shop from the Egg Shed’s range of farm produce, locally-made and certified organic products (pre-orders welcome). Book by July 4, via Allamburra Organics. BYO mat or towel.
27. Thanksgiving Service @ Kalbar Baptist Church – July 8. Free. Celebrate the richness and diversity of the Scenic Rim’s people and produce. A gold coin donation BBQ will follow the service.
28. Deck Party & Scenic Rim Brewery – July 8. Free. See out another Eat Local Week with happy hour all day and live music in the afternoon. Sample the beer, enjoy the views and dine on the Eat Local Week menu. Table reservations recommended, via Scenic Rim Brewery.
29. Tamborine Mountain Street Food Festival – July 8. Free. This event by The Design Collective will feature local organic growers, live musicians and kids activities.
30. Grape to Glass Wine Tasting Tour @ Witches Falls Winery – July 8. $15. Self-guided tours run from 12pm to 4pm. Grab a glass and head to four stations throughout the winery and enjoy a sample of wine at each, while learning about a different aspect of the wine making process. After you have visited all four stations, choose a glass of your favourite variety from the tour, settle in and enjoy the afternoon. Under 18s must be accompanied by a responsible adult and do not require a ticket. Book via Witches Falls Winery.