You don’t have to splash a lot of cash to enjoy yourself at Eat Local Week! These experiences are a great day on a budget in the Scenic Rim. Be sure to pack your esky so you can buy yourself a little local treat or two to take home, too.
PUT THESE LOW COST EXPERIENCES IN YOUR CALENDAR:
1. Winter Harvest Festival – July 6. Eat Local Week’s signature event is only $10 for adults, and kids under 12 get in free! A fabulous and relaxed day out for families and food lovers.
2. Binna Burra Bush Tucker of the Scenic Rim – July 3 & 6. Learn about bush foods in the Scenic Rim at this free event in DJ Smith Park, Canungra!
3. Beaudesert Gourmet Street Food Festival – June 30. Buy delicious food from dozens of street food vendors, enjoy live music and craft markets and relax away your food coma in the winter sun. With free entry, it’s entirely up to you how much or little you spend at this event!
4. Wine Tasting @ Barney Creek Vineyard Cottages – June 29, 30, July 6, 7. Pay a visit to try their six wines and one fortified wine with all products available for purchase.
5. Tastings @ Rathlogan Olive Grove (The Shed Café) – June 29, 30, July 6, 7 – another try-before-you-buy situation, this time with beautiful infused olive oils, flavoured vinegars and dukkah.
6. Crop to Cup @ Tamborine Mountain Coffee Plantation – June 29. For $22, you can take a tour of the complete coffee making process!
7. Tours @ Albert River Wines – June 29 to July 7. Take a tour of this historic property with lots of activities for the whole family for only $12.
8. Tour & Taste @ Summer Land Camels – June 30 to July 5. $20 will get you a behind-the-scenes look of Australia’s largest wild camel training centre and dairy operation, with a selection of delicious produce to sample at the end.
9. Greenlee Farm Tours & Tastings – July 1, multiple tours. Learn how the nut everyone loves to eat is harvested and processed, taste different flavoured macadamias and farm-fresh honey and learn about bush foods. Adults $15, students $10, kids under 5 free.
10. Mini Markets & Country Fare @ Christmas Creek Café – June 29 (café also open for lunch and dinner June 30, July 6,7). Purchase local goodies lovingly prepared by the local community from a small selection of market stalls at Christmas Creek Café. While you’re there, order lunch from their menu and step outside to take in the beautiful scenery.
11. Tasting Tables @ Beaudesert Arts & Information Centre – June 29-30. Free entry. Taste locally made produce including jams, pickles, olive oils, verjuice and macadamia nuts. Products available for purchase!
12. Tasting Tables @ Canungra Visitor Information Centre – June 29-30. Free entry. Sample jams, chutneys, rocky road and nuts made with love in the Scenic Rim. Buy some to take home, too!
13. Kids Bush Tucker Tracker @ Mt Barney Lodge – June 29 and July 2, 4 and 6. $20 per person, includes morning tea. Outdoor leaders will guide kids to discover native wildlife and taste bush tucker where it grows wild. Suitable for youth aged 8-14. Bookings essential via Mt Barney Lodge.
14. Canungra Food, Beer & Music Festival – June 29. BYO picnic blanket and your appetite! Free entry, dozens of street food vendors to shop from. Fill your body and soul with great food, beer and music on the lush greens of Canungra Bowls Club.
15. Beer Banter with Mike @ Scenic Rim Brewery – June 29, 30. Free entry, food & drinks available for purchase. Be sure to book a table, as this place is popular! Meet brewer Mike, have a tasting and enjoy the views as he shares his weird and wonderful knowledge of all things beer!
16. Mount Alford Artisans Market – June 30. Celebrate all things local with a happy mix of artists, makers and growers showcasing what they do best. Dine from pop-up cafes and listen to live music all day. BYO shopping bags! Free entry, plenty to buy.
17. Mini Market Day @ Rathdowney Visitor Information Centre – June 30. Free entry! Tuck into a local beef sausage sizzle, listen to live music, peruse the market stalls and stock up on local goodies.
18. Sweet & Sauerkraut @ Canungra Hub – July 1. For just $10, learn all about the benefits of eating raw. Watch a demo and eat delicious and nutritious raw slices. You’ll also learn about the benefits of making sauerkraut.
19. Open Day @ Naughty Little Kids – July 2. $5 per person. Pat baby goats and try your hand at milking. Try goat milk gelato and award winning goat cheese. There’ll be a sausage sizzle, coffee cart and free jumping castle, too.
20. Little Farmer Humpty Day @ Summer Land Camels – July 3. Your kids will never forget this exciting and informative experience at Summer Land Camels. $5 entry includes kids farm tours, bag of feed, story time, camel arts and crafts, face painting and more!
21. Beef & Wine in the Vineyard @ Bunjurgen Estate – July 3. Sink your teeth into a wide selection of premium Running Creek Beef, washed down with Bunjurgen Estate wines, juices and fortified wine. Do a wine tasting and you’ll be wanting to buy a glass or bottle in no time. Light meals available for purchase, and be sure to bring your esky to buy cuts of Running Creek Beef to take home with you. $5 entry!
22. Mini Market Day @ Boonah Library – July 3. Call into Boonah Library to chat with a local and sample Scenic Rim produce. Free entry, plenty to buy!
27. Mununjali Naidoc Family Fun Day @ Jubilee Park – July 6. Get a kangaroo sausage sizzle at the food tent, and taste native foods. Enjoy healthy, affordable food sourced through local suppliers Heits Butcher, Beaudesert Bakehouse and The Big Pumpkin. Free rides, attractions, children’s activities, dance performances and cultural workshops. Free entry!
28. Thanksgiving Service @ Kalbar Baptist Church – July 7. Free. Celebrate the richness and diversity of the Scenic Rim’s people and produce. A gold coin donation BBQ will follow the service.
29. Deck Party & Scenic Rim Brewery – July 7. Free entry. See out another Eat Local Week at this family-friendly event. Sample beer, enjoy the views and dine on their menu, inspired by Wendy’s Dutch heritage. Catch local live music in the afternoon. Table bookings recommended.
30. Meat Local @ VK Everydays – July 7. Celebrate local meats at VK Everydays. Buy lunch from a special menu featuring local meat sourced from Fassifern Ham & Bacon Co. Enjoy smoking demos from BBQ & Smokers by Beau View and live music by local singer Susie Reiser.